All too often women skimp on the shoes which is the absolute best way to sabatoge a beautiful outfit! When it comes to the office though, one of the biggest mistakes I see fits above the waist!
Usually, if it’s not too sheer, it’s too flashy, too clingy or just out of place with the rest of the outfit. Do yourself a favor and invest in a few high quality designer blouses. Choose good, consevative colors and styles that will pair with a wide range of differnt outfits. Like a great pair of classic black pumps, they will become one of the staples of your work wardrobe and dress up whatever you wear… Except of course your dresses!!!
Here are a few solid guidelines for the chic career girl: Wear a conservative tailored blouse (long-sleeved is recommended) in a color or small print pattern that coordinates nicely with your suit, skirt or slacks. Blouses should be tailored and coordinate with the rest of your outfit. Be sure any top you choose is not see-through or too low cut. Remember that eye contact centers on the oval made by your face, the lapels of your jacket and the upper part of your blouse. This frame must send the right messages of quality, coordination and taste.
Avoid blouses made of transparent material, velvets, shimmery fabrics and steer away from sleeve-less blouses (just in case you have to take off your jacket). Also avoid low cut blouses as cleavage is not appropriate to business attire and camisoles are generally not appropriate unless worn under a sheer blouse and are not overly revealing.
Now the best part; yet another peek into the conservative side of my closet…
- Tahari – Selena Long-Sleeve Mock-Collar Blouse (Brilliant Blue)
- Burberry London – Silk Blouse (Black)
- Diane von Furstenberg – Etta Long-Sleeve Chiffon Colorblock Blouse (Midnight/Sea Black)
- Oscar de la Renta – Silk Ruffle-Cuff Blouse (Black)
- Giorgio Armani – Contrast-Button Silk Tuxedo Blouse (Ivory) love this!!!
- Kate Spade New York – Tribly Silk Keyhole Blouse (Black/Cream)
- Burberry London – Animal-Print Silk Blouse (Deep Claret)
- Giorgio Armani – Silky Draped Short-Sleeve Blouse (Merlot)
You can find these via the designers… I’m too tired to list ’em all…